airelibre

Friday, January 04, 2008

Interview à Maghrebia

Tunisian journalist talks about training in the United States
Tunisian journalist Hmida Ben Romdhane spent two months in the United States, where he took a course at Northwestern University and learned about the techniques of online journalism at the Washington Post.
By Jamel Arfaoui for Magharebia in Tunis – Jan. 12 2007
The head of Tunisian daily La Presse's international department, Hmida Ben Romdhane, completed a two-month training course in the United States. Along with a dozen other Arab journalists, he was invited by the International Research Exchange (IREX), an American NGO, under a programme called "Emerging Leaders Fellowship".
He spent one month at Northwestern University, and one month at the Washington Post.
Magharebia: Describe the training.
Hmida Ben Romdhane: I was in the United States from October 4th to December 4th 2006. IREX invited a dozen journalists, marketing managers, and newspaper directors from various Arab countries, including Tunisia and Morocco, to hone their management skills.
The training was in two stages, with a one-month theoretical stage. These were intensive sessions at Northwestern University, in the suburbs of Chicago. These were really interesting sessions led by very well-known American professors. The aim of the sessions was to explore the best ways of managing a business without seeing any losses, even during the most difficult budgeting periods.
But the most interesting was the placement with washingtonpost.com, which is the Washington Post's online newspaper. I had greater luck than the other participants, because I was the only one accepted to spend a month in the newsroom of one of the greatest newspapers in the United States and the world. My other colleagues were sent to provincial newspapers, little known outside their town of publication.
Magharebia: How did your Washington Post placement work out?
Ben Romdhane: I learned a great deal about online journalism insofar as I was able to learn the techniques of electronic journalism, and mainly continuous updating.
The Washington Post 's electronic newspaper operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The night staffing levels are reduced, except in the case of a major event. Let's say that the news comes in at 3am, Washington time. It is published in the next few minutes. The team that works at night has all the means necessary to follow news closely around the world.
But sometimes the news is held back by choice and only published the next day, once the paper edition has appeared on the stands. A scoop is not published immediately by the electronic newspaper, to prevent competitors from getting hold of it. The information must appear exclusively in the newspaper before being taken up by the electronic version.
Magharebia: What are the Washington Post journalists like?
Ben Romdhane: There are hundreds of them. I didn't get to know all of them, but I had opportunities to talk and to work with many of them. I developed a good friendship with the assistant chief editor, Russ Walker, who even invited me to his house to celebrate Thanksgiving with his family.
But the most striking was Tom Ricks, the newspaper's military correspondent. He writes a lot about Iraq and Afghanistan. Tom's a very interesting character. He knows the history of Tunisia. The Punic Wars between Rome and Carthage, Cato and Hannibal, the landing of American soldiers in Tunisia in 1942 and their exploits against the German soldiers at Kasserine.
Magharebia: Has your stay in the United States changed the way you look at American journalism?
Ben Romdhane: In fact, it's my third visit to the United States (1988, 2002 and 2006), and each time, my knowledge of the American world has been enriched.
American newspapers have substantial freedoms during normal times. Now during major crises, the newspapers align themselves with the government's official position. During my conversations with Americans -- journalists, politicians and ordinary citizens -- I was struck by the negative image they have of Tunisia and our journalism at home. The question often asked is: why are Tunisian journalists so inhibited and why do they accept so much censorship from those in power? My response was that it's true that in Tunisia we don't have the best press in the world, but nevertheless it is still the case that during times of crisis, American journalists are just as ready to fall into line with those in power.
Magharebia: You have travelled a lot around the Middle East, and you know the region very well. Have you used this knowledge during your stays in the United States?
Ben Romdhane: I've visited around 40 countries. I spent two years in Iraq, one year in Palestine and six months in Iran as part of my humanitarian work with the International Red Cross Committee (IRCC). This really helped me to gain a better understanding of the problems troubling the Middle East region.
The idea was to use this placement as an opportunity for me to learn, but also a chance for them to learn from my modest experience. They didn't hold back from asking me hundreds of questions, and for my part I didn't fail to learn what I could from them. Especially as the placement coincided with the November 7th legislative elections.
I even spent time with a Washington Post team to cover the electoral campaign by Jim Webb, standing for senator of Virginia, who saw victory over his Republican rival, George Allen. This was an interesting experience which enabled me to see for myself how a major American newspaper covers a major national event.
Magharebia: Have your colleagues been able to benefit from your experience in the United States?
Ben Romdhane: Actually, yes. I've spoken about it with my many colleagues. I've answered their questions. And it continues. Colleagues from the association of Tunisian journalists have asked me to organise a little meeting to speak to them about the American press. I will also give an opportunity to more journalists to ask their questions about America and the American press

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home